Monday, August 31, 2009

Jake has a surprise for Ruby

Jake asks Ruby to come out in front of Mindolton Manor to see his surprise. She throws her arms in the air and gasps. If she could bend her arms and put her hands to her cheeks she would. "Oh Jake, It's beautiful!" she says as he opens the door for her.



"Let me take you for a drive, my darling." says Jake. This is something I have always wanted. A 1959 Cadillac Eldorado convertible. I got a bright red one, just for my Ruby girl."





"Oh Jake, you are wonderful!" Ruby sighs as she puts her head on his shoulder. They drive off into the sunset at the end of another happy day at Mindolton Manor.




I found this wonderful car at the Steadman's store (an old fashioned five and dime complete with lunch counter - although nothing actually costs 5 or 10 cents nowadays) in Gravenhurst, Ontario when I was up at my sister's cottage. I just had to buy it for Jake. I could just see him driving it - tail fins and all. And, I thought, a mansion like Mindolton Manor should have a big fancy car.




It is a 1/12th scale model according to the box, but as you can see Jake's head is way above the top of the dashboard so I don't think it is as accurate as they claim. I hope he doesn't have an accident. He'll loose his head. The doors open and the seats come forward so mini people can get into the back seat. The hood opens and shows a very detailed motor. The trunk contains a white spare tire. I thought it was so much fun.

I actually baulked at the price tag - $20.00 - but figured I would never see a car like this again so decided to buy it. It wasn't until I got to the cash register that I saw the original price sticker on the box - $149.95. Wow, talk about depreciation.

I'm sure Jake and Ruby and the residents of Mindolton will have some great road trips in the future. They have already been to my living room with some of the children. Remember, Mondolton is in my dining room, so that was a journey of about 20 feet.

More Mindolton adventures soon.
Hugs,
Susan

8 comments: