Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Miniature World of Faith Bradford

On the weekend I visited the Smithsonian National Museum of American History in Washington DC.

I was delighted to find, not only Dorothy's ruby slippers, Abe Lincoln's hat and Kermit the frog, but dollhouses - lots of them.

This picture is Faith Bradford's dollhouse. There was such a crowd around it it was hard to get close enough to see all the rooms.

It was fun to watch the children examine each room carefully, off in a world of their imagination. What dreams they must be having now.

I heard one little boy say. "Wow, that's even bigger than Grandma's dollhouse", and I smiled, wondering if he belonged to someone in this community.

I remarked to a young mother how cute her daughter was - engrossed in the tiny details and oblivious to everything else. "She just got her own dollhouse." the mother said, smiling back.

Back at my desk today I was delighted to discover the museum has a section of their website devoted to this lovely house. The pictures blow up nice and big and clear. I can actually see more details on the website than I could in person. They even offer a virtual tour of each floor.

Have a look. Click here and you will see what I mean. Happy exploring!

Hugs,
Susan

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the link to this wonderful dollhouse! I have a small book on this dollhouse, so small one can't tell anything about the contents! So this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link, Susan. Off I go now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great site - terrific to have photos of the house and furnishings over many years! Thanks for posting this link :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the link, is very interesting, the big dollhouse is incredible! regards

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just in DC and didn't go to the Museum.
    I had to do other things. I felt bad about missing it and then you included the link and i got to enjoy it! Happy ending! Thank you so much. CM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the info. I do live near DC, so next time I go, I will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete