Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Deluxe Reading Kitchen 1961 - The Grocery Store Special

Deluxe Reading toys were sold in the 1950s–1970s in supermarkets. 

One of the most successful toys for girls was the "Dream Kitchen" (circa 1961) which consisted of four 12-inch-tall colourful kitchen appliances, a kitchen table and four chairs. The 1/6th scale of the set made it perfect for Barbie.



This toy was unique in that the sink worked with water, the oven had batteries to turn a plastic turkey on a spit inside.


The refrigerator had pull-out shelves, and the dishwasher also worked with water.

Included were scores of food boxes, cleaning supplies, food replica items, plates, utensils and more. The box proclaimed that it held "176 pieces."  I have acquired many extra accessories for my Deluxe Reading Kitchen.



This attractive display was high up on the grocery store shelf causing many children to beg their parents to buy them such a wonderful toy. I remember, as I was one of them, but I didn't get the set until I was grown up. (Picture from Pinterest)


The set came in an colourfully illustrated cardboard box. (Picture from Pinterest)


The kitchen set was also sold in the 1963 Montgomery Ward Christmas Book, Page 230



3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see you post! I saw some Gottschalk dollhouses at a doll show at the end of February that made me think of you, but I couldn't for the life of me find your blog again. Your Dream Kitchen with all the accessories is wonderful. How many of us are out there that have bought toys that our parents wouldn't buy us when we were young?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. I am glad you found my blog again. I found your post about the doll show and enjoyed it very much. As well as loving Antique dollhouses I love Kitty Collier. It is so nice that doll shows are back again. I can't wait to go to one after this long dry spell.

      Delete
    2. I've been to two since doll shows opened up again, and I'm looking forward to my next one.

      Delete