Sunday, October 23, 2016

Small Stories - V&A Dollhouses at the National Building Museum in Washington DC

A few weeks ago I visited the National Building Museum in Washington DC for a special show titled Small Stories: At Home in a Dollhouse.

This is a collection of 12 doll's Houses from London’s Victoria and Albert Museum of Childhood.

It was wonderful to see these exquisite houses in person. I had often gazed longingly at their pictures in books, so seeing them in person was like walking in to a room and seeing Paul McCartney or Benedict Cumberbatch standing there.

Below are some pictures I took at the exhibit, but to see much better pictures go to this article:
http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/national-building-museum-dollhouses

My photos have been taken through the protective glass surrounding the houses and the interior lighting makes everything look green in the photos. Still, I am delighted to have my own pictures of these rock star houses. 
























































The Building Museum itself is a beautiful space. 

10 comments:

  1. Wow! I am envious! How long is the exhibit in DC? Just to be able to put your nose to the glass and see all the details would be amazing! Thank you for sharing your pictures! Now I'm going back to look some more! I too, have admired these houses from afar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The exhibit is on until January 22, 2017. I may get to see it again if I visit my DC friends at Christmas.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I Love that Killer Cabinet House! Did you see the "toy" doll that fell on the floor beside the child at the table? How Teeny is that?!! Thank you for leaving your pictures so they can be enlarged for close-ups! I have enjoyed this visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Killer Cabinet was so much bigger than I expected. I would love to have it in my home but it would take up most of the living room.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I enjoyed the tour. Thanks for sharing your day with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherri! I was so excited to see this exhibit. I had seen the houses in books and online for years, but seeing them in person was so great.

      Delete
  4. Wow great post! I especially like the billiard room with the green shaded lamps. Thanks for sharing! C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should go see it before you head west.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful post and great photos too! What a great exhibit. I am glad that you captured the information on each one too. Thanks for a great post, it was almost like being there ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Troy! The irony is that I will visit the V&A in London next month and these houses won't be there. I am so happy I got to see them in Washington.

      Delete