Sunday, June 17, 2012

Daphne stays home

Daphne didn't want to come with me on my latest adventure. I went to Iceland to celebrate recovering from chemotherapy. Daphne said "Who wants to go to a land that is made of Ice?"

She couldn't have been more wrong but she seems quite happy with the souvenirs I brought back for her.
We saw each of these things in 1:1 scale while we were there. Daphne didn't know what she was missing. There was a lot more than just "Ice"!

The small, sturdy Icelandic horses were everywhere, and very charming, except for this one who tried to bite me. Daphne's pony certainly won't try to bite her. It is very well-mannered, and has a soft, permanently closed mouth.

Daphne's Icelandic sweater is very small. The one on this hairy Viking is very large. But apparently he and the ten-foot tall polar bear are on sale for half price. I guess that included the sweater. No, I didn't buy them. Just imagine trying to fit them into the overhead bins on the plane.

There aren't any polar bears in Iceland unless they happen to float over on ice flows. I am glad this didn't happen while we were driving in the sparsely populated northern part of the island.

I couldn't resist buying the little book because we saw the same house in Hofsos. They have added a deck railing since the picture on the book cover was taken. Very charming. It looks like a doll's house.

In Iceland there are sheep everywhere. They outnumber people by 3 to 1. Daphne is enchanted with the two little ones I brought her and has promised to take good care of them. I may sign her up for a course in sheep shearing. She'd love that.

I wish Daphne had decided to come with me as there were many things that were just her size and I could have taken pictures of her with them. This little Icelandic house with the turf roof was in someone's yard and was a perfect 1:12 scale. We saw several of these during our travels.

Daphne would also have enjoyed the Settlement Centre where people just her size helped to tell the story of Iceland's history.

But, even without Daphne we had a lovely trip. It seems to have restored my energy and joie de vivre after the chemotherapy kicked the stuffing out of me.

Iceland is a country of waterfalls and a variety of landscapes. I highly recommend it.

Hugs,
Susan

7 comments:

  1. Me alegro que te haya hecho tanto bien ese viaje a Islandia.
    Debe ser un precioso pais.
    Gracias por las preciosas fotografias.
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful scenery. Love the little red houses made from little hay stacks. I cannot believe you did not buy the Polar Bear, you have plenty of room for it in your house, NOT! So glad you enjoyed your trip! CM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks CM! I even found the prefect Daphne sized cave in one of the volcano fields. I bet she won't opt out next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that you were able to get away and enjoy yourself! Beautiful place. eautiful things help with healing! At least I believe this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Teresa, I believe that too. Iceland was beautiful, healthy, exciting and we spent most of our time outdoors. It had to be good for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous trip, thanks for sharing the gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete