Sunday, September 8, 2024

Mid-19th Century English Doll's House

This beautiful doll's house measures 38" wide and 38" from the bottom to the top of the chimneys. I believe it was made in the mid 19th century. The exterior is hand painted. I have decided to sell this house. Please contact me at susansminihomes@gmail.com to inquire about purchasing this house.

 

A previous owner updated the interior at some point. The wallpaper looks like the type used in the 1970s. Three of the rooms have built in fireplaces. 


The portico is beautifully done, but has accumulated a few scrapes and dings over the years. I am sure it could be easily restored.
The double chimneys are representative of the mid-19th century.
The lovely entry way and staircase are also representative of doll's houses of that era. 
This the landing at the top of the stairs.

A previous owner wired the house with miniature lights and sockets. The wiring is no longer intact, so I can't test it. I have furnished it with some antique doll's house furniture.

This room has a light socket and small bulb where the cook stove would be.

This antique bedroom set appears to be handmade. It is really sweet.

The living room has wainscotting and a patterned fabric representing wall paper. I believe the previous owner added these. The original fireplace is marbled.






Here are an example of mid-19th century English doll's houses that is very similar to mine. It is listed as - A mid-19th English Toyman's wooden  dolls' house












2 comments:

  1. What a sweet old dollhouse! It is just like ones I always wished I had.... that you would see in books. I am sure I live too far away... and have no room in my home... but if it is not too expensive... I dream on..... !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I understand the dilemma of adding more dollhouses to one's collection. that's why I am downsizing my collection. Where are you located?

    ReplyDelete