Tuesday, January 25, 2022

The Big Dollhouse Renovation


This is the after picture of the large vintage dollhouse I refurbished over the last few years. I have worked on it on and off since the summer of 2015. It is 1/12th scale, 46" tall, 17" wide. 26" wide.

It looked like this when I got it. Someone had made a start on the siding, but didn't get very far. The shingles were a mess and the attic windows looked as if someone had glued something to them and later ripped it off. The house had been in a garage for years and I gave it a good cleaning.

Some siding strips came with the house, but I had to buy more to complete it. While I worked my cat, Lily kept me company. She thought the house was a fun place to hide and sleep.

Some of the double sash windows came with the house,
but I had to purchase others to complete the exterior

I painted the exterior siding a pale yellow after I had finished the siding and repaired the shingles 

I painted the interior white with a plan to wallpaper it and add baseboards, crown molding and lighting at a later date, but never got that done.
I found two windows for the attic in my stash of dollhouse supplies.


I had this book for many years and finally used it for the stained glass windows in the attic and in the sidelights of the front door. The stained glass panels in the book can be hand coloured, and it was fun to do so to match the house.


I mixed together some acrylic paints and came up with the olive shade for the trim, and then the pink for the shingles. I love the colour contrast on the house.

I felt it needed some flowers and added flower boxes to the attic and the main floor windows. The six windows on the front need flower boxes too, but I never did get any.

The side windows aren't as fancy as the front windows, but they are also double sash.

I think it turned out very well, and as I write this the house is on it's way to a new home. The new owner was so excited to get it, and appreciated all the work I had put into it. I know she will love it as much as I did and maybe she will decorate the interior. I never got around to it.











No comments:

Post a Comment