Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The nursery

I have learned a few things about designing mini-wallpaper. One of them is that the paper may look great in human scale, but it doesn't translate to dollhouse scale.



The nursery is a good example. While looking for vintage wallpapers I came across the name, Charles Francis Annesley Voysey. I knew this name because I had read about him when I researched Stockbroker Tudor houses. (see my Stockbroker Tudor blog: http://susanshouses.blogspot.com/2009/04/stockbroker-tudor-doll-house.html







The nursery wallpaper is 'Alice in Wonderland' by CFA Voysey. The busy design looks great in full size, but is almost overwhelming when shrunk to miniature. Next time I will do a little customizing on the print. This time though, I left the busy print as is for the top part of the wall. In PhotoShop I cut out flowers from the design and distributed them across a background of the main colour to make the bottom of the room. Then I went back in and cut out the characters from the design, and made a ceiling border. I botched the border when gluing and later got paint on it. I will replace it with a properly sized one when I regain that fabled energy. Really, I just wanted to get this house finished and move on.



It's not really finished though because I want to put up some ceiling medallions and (non-working) light fixtures. I still have a fireplace to paint and install in the living room too. All that can wait for another day. I am going to take pictures of the rooms with the furniture in and post those over the next few days. Back soon.
Susan

2 comments:

  1. Me gusta mucho el papel que has escogido, te quedará genial.
    un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I think it looks absolutely wonderful! I love the 'busy-ness' of it all, and typical of what Victoriana folk wouldn have loved and used.
    What % did you shrink it to, and did you use regular printer paper? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete